Motorcycle and Moped Training

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) is legally required for anyone wishing to ride a motorcycle or moped on public roads; it is not an exam, it is a course of training you are required to complete satisfactorily. It is a basic course in motorcycling, but you must show a safe level of competence while on the public road for the last element of training. CBT is designed to be helpful, and not obstructive, and will give you a good start to your riding.

The course is conducted at weekends by the Jersey School of Motorcycling Ltd. which body has been approved by the Driver Vehicle Standards Department (DVS) as the sole provider of CBT in Jersey.  Their website can be found at

Questions & Answers

Who must do CBT?
All learner riders with a licence since 1st September 1997, who wish to ride a moped or light motorcycle must complete the Compulsory Basic Training course (CBT). Also, if you have been disqualified from riding a heavy motorcycle, you must take a CBT course if you want to renew your licence.

Does it matter if I’ve never ridden a motorcycle or moped before?
The course is specifically designed for novice riders to provide them with the machine handling, road awareness and maintenance skills necessary for safe riding. You don’t have to have had any previous experience.

I took my CBT in the UK (or Guernsey) is it valid in Jersey?
No, if you are riding with a UK (or Guernsey) CBT certificate you are riding illegally.

How do I book a course?
Booking forms are available from your Parish Halls, all Motorcycle Dealers, DVS and also
When completed, the form must be posted to the address provided with the required fee. Your training date and information pack will be sent to you a few days later.

How much will it cost?
£118.46 from January 2017. This is non-refundable unless a valid doctor’s certificate is produced. If you arrive late, or do not turn up for your course then a further fee of £118.46 will be charged for issuing new course dates.

How long does the course take, and what time does it start?
The course will last approximately 6 hours and start at either 8.00am; 8.30am; 10.30am or 11.00am (you must arrive at least 20 minutes before the start of your course to allow for registration and bikes to be checked).

What should I read before attending the course?
As Jersey has agreed a reciprocal licensing agreement with the UK and the EEC, all standards have to be the same. You will therefore need to read and understand the The Jersey Highway Code (which is also available from Parish Halls), and the UK Highway code (which is also available from bookshops) and The Official DSA Guide to Riding – the essential skills, (also available from bookshops or online, should also be read to aid understanding. If you are riding an automatic machine you will also need to know about riding geared motorcycles. Finally, and in particular, you should read and understand the owner’s manual relevant to your machine. If you have a second hand machine with no manual one can easily be obtained from your motorcycle dealer. For further theory revision, try the DVS website or

Can I take my theory test with DVS before I do my CBT course?
Yes as long as you have your provisional motorcycle licence. You will find that this will help a great deal when you come to do your CBT course.

What does the course cover?
The CBT course syllabus consists of 5 elements. You will only progress onto the next element when you have demonstrated that you have learned the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to the expected standard level within that element.

The elements are:

  1. Introduction – to instruct candidates on the aims of the training course and the importance of having the right equipment and clothing.
  2. Practical on-site training – to assist candidates to familiarise themselves with their motorcycle, how it works, its controls and how to carry out basic machine checks.
  3. Practical on-site riding – conducted in a safe, enclosed environment and is designed to instruct the candidate on how to handle, ride and fully control their machine in various simulated situations.
  4. Practical on-road training  – a comprehensive discussion about riding safely on the road to ensure that candidates are fully aware of the legal requirements, the rules of the road, and the need to ride defensively.
  5. Practical on-road riding  – candidates will be required to put into practice the skills that they have learned during the four previous elements.  For safety, candidates are kept in contact with an instructor via radio headsets.

What will I need for the course?

  • A provisional licence for the relevant vehicle category, that also needs to be in date for the day of riding (available from your Parish Hall).
  • Your original certificate of insurance.
  • Your vehicle’s registration document. New machines delivered by dealers to our site are exempt from producing a registration document, but you must provide the manufacturer’s warranty document instead. If the machine has been borrowed, a signed letter of consent from the owner will be accepted.
  • A good fitting helmet with a BSI or ECE mark to show that it meets current standards.
  • Tough clothing, which must include strong jacket, long trousers, (preferably jeans not nylon or thin material), strong gloves, sturdy footwear with ankle protection and waterproof clothing, (if necessary). Also glasses or contact lenses if worn normally.
  • Something to eat and drink as a short break will occur during the course; however trainees will not have time to leave the training area.

What should I check on my motorcycle?
Your motorcycle must be roadworthy and should have the following:

  • A right hand mirror fitted (two mirrors are preferable)
  • A full tank of fuel and oil
  • A current insurance disc (WID) fitted to the machine and clearly visible
  • A rear number plate with integral L-badge
  • Indicators and lights if fitted, must work
  • A working brake light
  • A legal speedometer showing mph
  • A working horn
  • Effective brakes
  • Self-closing throttle
  • Road legal tyres with correct tread depth and inflated to correct pressures (pressures found in your owners manual).
  • Chain properly adjusted and lubricated (refer to owners manual)
  • Good sprockets without worn teeth
  • An approved silencer

I am an older car driver and already have a full licence with an entitlement to ride a 50cc moped, do I need to display a rear number plate with integral L-badge?  Will I also need to get a separate provisional licence?
No not if you are going to do the CBT course on a 50cc moped you can also use your car licence. If however you want to do the course on a machine above 50cc then you will need to display a rear number plate with integral L-badge and have a provisional licence for that category.

Where is the course held?
The course is held at Gate 2, Bellozane Valley, St Helier.

Can I ride my motorcycle to the training site?
No. You must not ride your motorcycle to the training site. Arrangements will need to be made for it to be taken there for you. If you are buying a new motorcycle the dealers will usually arrange for your motorcycle to be delivered for you. If you have bought a second hand motorcycle then you can ask a license holder to bring it to the site for you on the day of your training (please make sure this person is insured to ride your motorcycle). The Breakdown Recovery services are also willing to deliver motorcycles the numbers can be found in yellow pages.

Can I ride home as soon as the course has finished?
Providing you have met the required standard you will be issued with a CBT certificate. This will validate your existing provisional licence and enable you to ride unaccompanied with immediate effect. If you have not met the required standard then additional training can be arranged at a cost. Please ask for details.

Does CBT enable me to take a pillion passenger?
No, you cannot take a passenger whilst riding on an ‘L’ plate under any circumstances.

How long does the CBT certificate last?
The CBT certificate is valid for 3 years but you must attempt your (DVS) theory test before your Provisional Licence expires, (6 months from the date of issue). If you do not attempt a test within this time, renewal of your Provisional licence will be refused for one year. This would also affect the application for a car licence.

Do I have to do a separate CBT course for an automatic and a geared motorcycle?
No. Once you have successfully completed your CBT you are legally allowed to ride any motorcycle, which your licence permits.

This course is undertaken entirely at your own risk, The Jersey School of Motorcycling Ltd. will not be held liable for any loss or damage to persons or their property, howsoever caused.

JSM also provide pre-test lessons, which can be taken after a few months of riding when you feel more confident with your motorcycle; we can take you out and help prepare you for your practical test. These lessons take between 1 – 2 hours for a light motorcycle and cost £35.00 and for a heavy motorcycle between 2 – 3 hours and cost £65.00.

We do however recommend that you attempt your Theory Test at DVS beforehand (not necessary for heavy motorcycle). The test can be booked by visiting DVS or you can book online

Advanced courses suitable for riders who have held their full licence for at least six months can also be arranged. These courses can take place in Jersey, France or the UK.

Private lessons can be arranged to help in any areas at a cost of £35.00 per hour. For any of the above please telephone the Jersey School of Motorcycling Ltd on 747431 or email for further information.